Links to main themes - please bookmark:
- Rocky Rex's Latest Science Stuff
- What can cause climate change?
- Climate Change Demystified
- An Expanded Exploration of Climate Change
- 22,000 Years of Global Temperature Change
- A Random Walk through Earth Science
- A Random Warp through the Universe
- Recommended reading on climate change - expert sources
Sunday, 28 June 2015
The Universe - Dirty Snowballs
The astronomer Frank Whipple created the description of comets as 'dirty snowballs'.
Comets go around the Sun in a highly elliptical orbit.
They can spend many years out in the depths of the solar system before they return to the Sun.
Comet Hyakutake (1996)
As they come closer to the Sun, the warming of the surface causes materials to melt and vapourise, producing the tail.
Comet tails can be as long as the distance between the Earth and the Sun.
The tail always points away from the Sun.